For many different reasons...but one of them happened on Tuesday.
I've mentioned before that Eddie has learned how to escape from his crib.
It only happened once & I thought I had it 'figured out' so it wouldn't happen again.
If motherhood has taught me anything, it is that once I have our Little Man 'figured out', he changes the rules.
Tuesday afternoon I put him down for a nap.
An hour and a half later, he was asleep.
What happened during that time is what I began to refer to as 'the battle' in my rapid text messages to Mark.
I knew Mark could not read them or answer me during that time...but it made me feel better.
Before Tuesday nap time went like this: once Eddie was all tucked in, he was quiet until his water was gone and sometimes he would babble for a bit before he fell asleep. 2 - 3 hours after falling asleep, he would call for me and I would get him out of bed.
Tuesday it was clear shortly after I laid him down that this was not going to be a normal day. I heard him cry out and as I stood outside his closed door trying to figure out what was happening, I heard him say, "stuck". I rushed in to find his leg wedged between the crib & the wall. I freed him, gave him a hug & laid him back down.
I shut the door, but stayed outside it listening.
I heard the distinct sounds of crib rattling signaling he was trying to escape.
This time he was going off the non wall side of the crib. He had 1 leg over and I watched as he started to lift his body.
I laid him back down and left the room.
I spent the next hour texting Mark, peeking through the crack in the door & laying Eddie back down every time I saw he was getting ready to climb over.
This is what our sleep book recommended & I decided to give it a try.
He is not ready for a big bed.
Sometimes I was in his room several times a minute.
I began to wish I had kept count.
I remember writing Mark & telling him that I was not going to lose this nap time battle.
It became comical.
But then it happened.
I didn't get their in time.
He got over the rail...
lost his grip...
and I wasn't able to catch him.
I'm not sure who was more shaken.
I scooped him up from the floor and held him until he calmed down.
Then he did the totally unexpected.
He walked to his bed & asked to go in.
I tucked him in and he fell asleep.
Mark brought home flowers that night.

Since then, nap time & bedtime have been like a dream.
I tuck him in...and he stays.
On Saturday Mark did not follow our 'new normal' nap time routine.
Eddie did start to get out, but Mark caught him, gave him his correct sippy cup & our little boy was off to dreamland.

I am not going to say I have him figured out and we will see how long I can hold off the move to the big bed...but I am going to enjoy this while it lasts! :)
4 comments:
Good luck! We had to transition Sam to a big boy bed when he was 18 months b/c he kept jumping out and landing on his head! I hope you win "the battle"!
What a little monkey!
He sleeps just like Audrey!
I'm telling you girl, invest in a crib tent if you're not ready for the big bed yet!!
Post a Comment