I can still recall our last summer, I still see it all
Walks along the Seine, laughing in the rain
Our last summer
Memories that remain...
In the tourist jam, round the Notre Dame
Our last summer,
Walking hand in hand
Walks along the Seine, laughing in the rain
Our last summer
Memories that remain...
In the tourist jam, round the Notre Dame
Our last summer,
Walking hand in hand
These words were sung by Colin Firth in Mama Mia. I've found him dreamy since watching Pride & Prejudice. This is an example of how I think & how one thing...can trigger many other memories.
Harry Potter - Paris - Mama Mia
It started with my wonderful hubby telling me to take some time for myself tonight. I decided to take a bath. I do most of my reading in the tub. Since Eddie has been born, I have not had many soaks, so, not much reading. Things I have read consist mostly of story books or books on sleep.
As I scanned our overflowing bookshelf this popped out at me.

It is the British version of Harry Potter. Tons of memories came flooding back. I tried to read the book. I am a big fan of Harry Potter - but upon seeing the cover, too many other things were running through my head, I set the book aside & walked down memory lane.
I got this book last summer in Paris. Yup. It is still hard to believe, but a little over a year ago, I was in Paris with my sisters. Although I am not a huge traveler, I went on an adventure with my sisters, who love to travel...especially Emily. We went with a tour from Audrey's school. Thinking of Paris brought the Mama Mia song to mind. I was thinking of the places mentioned in it. The Mona Lisa; the Seine; the Eiffel Tower; Notre Dame; walking in the rain and hand in hand. We did all of that, but the hand in hand part was more of a vice grip to make sure we didn't leave anyone on the Metro.
Memories from our adventure...

We flew into London...which is now one of my favorite places. I am taking Mark back someday.
To beat the jet leg, we spent our first day on a walking tour. While there we hit the major landmarks, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, the changing of the guard, the London Eye & while in Trafalgar Square, Audrey sat by the lions. We also saw Wicked. :)


We spent an afternoon in Windsor.


We took the chunnel into Paris. We went to the Louvre, saw the Mona Lisa and walked along the Seine.

We visited Montmartre, which is located on a hill overlooking Paris. It is a cute town, but I have never been as homesick as I was this night. Our American phone cards didn't work in Paris so we called home when we could, I was fine talking to Mark, but as soon as my mom got on the phone, I started to cry. This was our first night in Paris. Emily & I shared a room, she was in the shower & I could hear her swearing and dropping things. She was not making me excited for my turn & all I wanted to do was wash the city off me. Our shower basically consisted of a small triangle on the floor, a curtain and a shower head that was mounted by your waist. You had to get wet, turn off the water, soap up & then turn the water back on. We got water everywhere!


After hating our first day and singing 'I hate Paris' as I fell asleep, I woke up the next morning willing to give Paris another chance. And I was glad that I did. The Palace of Versailles and Notre Dame more than made up for the crummy first day.

We traveled through the beautiful countryside to Normandy.

We stopped along the beaches of Normandy and the American cemetary. Emily is the history buff among the 3 of us & seeing her reaction to the area, and hearing her tell us details of what happened on that spot, brought home for Audrey & I the enormity of what took place there.
Our last night in Paris before heading home we visited the Eiffel Tower. I was terrified on the elevator up - but so glad my sisters dragged me to the top. I was under the impression that you could get blown off the top. I was misinformed. The views were amazing.


It was a wonderful adventure. Coming home was wonderful too. When I met Mark after getting off the plane, he gave me the biggest hug. I didn't think he'd ever let go.
As I scanned our overflowing bookshelf this popped out at me.

It is the British version of Harry Potter. Tons of memories came flooding back. I tried to read the book. I am a big fan of Harry Potter - but upon seeing the cover, too many other things were running through my head, I set the book aside & walked down memory lane.
I got this book last summer in Paris. Yup. It is still hard to believe, but a little over a year ago, I was in Paris with my sisters. Although I am not a huge traveler, I went on an adventure with my sisters, who love to travel...especially Emily. We went with a tour from Audrey's school. Thinking of Paris brought the Mama Mia song to mind. I was thinking of the places mentioned in it. The Mona Lisa; the Seine; the Eiffel Tower; Notre Dame; walking in the rain and hand in hand. We did all of that, but the hand in hand part was more of a vice grip to make sure we didn't leave anyone on the Metro.
Memories from our adventure...

We flew into London...which is now one of my favorite places. I am taking Mark back someday.
To beat the jet leg, we spent our first day on a walking tour. While there we hit the major landmarks, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, the changing of the guard, the London Eye & while in Trafalgar Square, Audrey sat by the lions. We also saw Wicked. :)

We spent an afternoon in Windsor.


We took the chunnel into Paris. We went to the Louvre, saw the Mona Lisa and walked along the Seine.

We visited Montmartre, which is located on a hill overlooking Paris. It is a cute town, but I have never been as homesick as I was this night. Our American phone cards didn't work in Paris so we called home when we could, I was fine talking to Mark, but as soon as my mom got on the phone, I started to cry. This was our first night in Paris. Emily & I shared a room, she was in the shower & I could hear her swearing and dropping things. She was not making me excited for my turn & all I wanted to do was wash the city off me. Our shower basically consisted of a small triangle on the floor, a curtain and a shower head that was mounted by your waist. You had to get wet, turn off the water, soap up & then turn the water back on. We got water everywhere!


After hating our first day and singing 'I hate Paris' as I fell asleep, I woke up the next morning willing to give Paris another chance. And I was glad that I did. The Palace of Versailles and Notre Dame more than made up for the crummy first day.

We traveled through the beautiful countryside to Normandy.

We stopped along the beaches of Normandy and the American cemetary. Emily is the history buff among the 3 of us & seeing her reaction to the area, and hearing her tell us details of what happened on that spot, brought home for Audrey & I the enormity of what took place there.
Our last night in Paris before heading home we visited the Eiffel Tower. I was terrified on the elevator up - but so glad my sisters dragged me to the top. I was under the impression that you could get blown off the top. I was misinformed. The views were amazing.


It was a wonderful adventure. Coming home was wonderful too. When I met Mark after getting off the plane, he gave me the biggest hug. I didn't think he'd ever let go.
That brings me back to tonight. After reliving our trip I continued to sing Mama Mia songs as I shaved my legs. I've never realized what a luxury it is to use shaving cream & take my time. I have not done that lately. I also thought about the new sing-a-long version of Mama Mia & I am hoping I can talk my sisters in to going.
So. That is a glimpse into how I tick. I know...it's a bit crazy in here at times. :)
So. That is a glimpse into how I tick. I know...it's a bit crazy in here at times. :)
2 comments:
what a great experience.
mama mia. here i go again. my my, how could i resist you. Mamma mia, does it show again? My my, just how much I've missed you.
Thanks Jen. Thanks a lot.
:)
Post a Comment