A form of Hip Dysplasia. It means: 'the socket is shallow and stays shallow, so that the hip is unstable...if left untreated the long-term consequences are very serious, including a shorter leg and a pronounced limp, premature onset of arthritis and hip pain'.
About 2 weeks ago at Ellie's 2 month appointment her doctor felt a click while he was checking her hips. A few days later we went to the hospital for an ultrasound. A few days after that Ellie's doctor called to say that her left hip did not have enough coverage. We were referred to a specialist. Yesterday Ellie & I went to meet him and we came home with not only a diagnosis...but this:
And it is going to stay around for a bit. Like 3 months. Thankfully it doesn't hurt at all - it just restrains her and will: 'hold the hip in the reduced position to allow the head of the femur (the ball) to mold the acetabulum (the cup)...as the ball molds the cup, it deepens the cup, resulting in a stable hip.'
I got that right from the guide that came with the harness. It was a bit overwhelming at the doctors office. I am very thankful my sister-in-law was in town this weekend. Our nephew had to wear one of these too and she told me about their experience on the chance Ellie ended up in one. It was so helpful. I am glad I was prepared.
I had about a 30 second pity party as Ellie & I drove home. Then I remembered the families that we have been praying so hard for. It made me very grateful for a diagnosis of acetabular dysplasia.

5 comments:
Oh my goodness. Poor, sweet little peanut. I'm so glad you had some preparation as well, even though I know it was still really tough to hear. Praying the harness does wonders for her precious little legs. Hang in there Jen!
You're her momma and it's never easy to hear that something is "wrong" with your baby. I'm so glad that it's treatable...praying that the harness fixes her up in no time!
You want your babies to be perfect so perfectly normal that you were feeling sad!
No fun to have this extra "thing" to work around for three months. Sounds like you have a great perspective though!
She is so adorable. I'm sorry to hear she has this but so thankful there's a painless treatment!
Post a Comment